So let’s see where things stand, shall we?
1. Â This weekend has mostly been me lazing about, and doing bits of things that need doing. Rather boring to blog about.Â Except signing the contracts (finally!) for Gin & Tonic #3 & #4.Â That’sÂ alwaysÂ exciting.
2. Â Today is father’s day. As I said elsewhere in the socialsphere, I’m thankful that I don’t need a special day to remind me to be glad I have a dad who is smart, sane, loving & funny. And also eye-rollingly stubborn, often irritating and intentionally infuriating. But that, as someone else said, is pretty much a dad’s job. :-)
3. Â A project that was supposed to be wrapped up last week has been put into limbo because of Other People, and I lost out on another freelance gig due to Project A not being wrapped up yet. Â I’m trying to be philosophical about this…
4. Â Last month I was challenged to write a story in a new-to-me subgenre, for a not-yet-open-to-submissions anthology. I was dubious – most of what’s popular in that sub-genre isn’t my thing. But the editor seemed convinced that yes, they really wanted to see my take on it.
So this weekend I printed out what I have of the story and started going over it. Â Blending my quirks w/ its structure… yeah. And this isn’t a topic I’m comfortable writing the surface of – there’s going to be some deep bruising here, and pulling my own gut feelings into the ink. And a lot of thinking in-between the words.
This is how you grow, as a writer. Growing hurts.
5. Meanwhile, I was feeling a little out-of-sorts for no particular reason, so I decided to combine exercise with a treat, and walked down to the local high-end market for something sweet (they have the best selection of quality chocolate, as well as real halvah).Â I came home with:Â salmon bits, raw almonds, and pesto. Â I was sort of bemused at myself (dude, none of those are sweets) when I realized that what they all ARE are chemical Mood Improvers. Â My subconscious is once again smarter than the rest of me.
(I kind of regret bypassing those macaroons, though.)